Monday, April 16, 2018

Quilts and their people (3)

The last few quilters we persuaded to pose with their quilts - all of the others escaped. But we do have photos of many more quilts, so a few more quilt show posts to come.

Julie White with Wind Power
I entered this in the Brother International competition in 2015,
selected in the top ten and exhibited in the Tokyo Quilt Exhibition
2016. The theme was “Ecco” and had to be my own design.
 I enlarged the windmill photos until I had the right balance and perspective.
 This was challenging – I nearly gave up on two occasions! I love it.
Painted sky, appliqued windmills, bushes and lily pads.
 Free motion machining of reeds and bushes.
Design source: photos taken in 1985 at the Kinderdijk, Holland.
Yvette Aoude with Pretty in Red
This Quilt is a quilt along. Based on the book The Farmer's Wife,
the goal was to complete one block a day. I decided it will
look spectacular red and white.
Quilted by Jo-Ann Phillips.

Susan McMahon with Striking
This quilt was originally intended to be red and black only. I
decided to add the white when I bought the butterfly fabric
and couldn’t resist using it. I had half a dozen fabrics I would use.
My husband scanned them and we used the scans to design the
first part of the quilt, beginning with the butterfly fabric.
 It grew from there.Machine pieced and quilted.
Design source:  A black and red quilt donated to our community
quilts, and one donated to Quilts of Valour.
Sue Hodges with Reproduction Beauty
I was stopped in my tracks when I first saw Chris Jurd’s quilt
“Reproduction Beauty” so of course, I just had to make it. Little
did I realise it would be the beginning of an addiction to foundation
piecing. This quilt was overtaken by other projects but it is
finally quilted! Foundation piecing, free motion quilting



Louise Church with Butterflies for Sarah
Turquoise is my daughter-in-laws favourite colour. When she
commented on a quilt I had previously made I was inspired to
collect all the leftover fabric to make her a 40th birthday gift.
 She was thrilled with this and proudly displays it on her lounge.
Lorraine Kenchington with Quilt #2Stitched and quilted by hand. Original design.
Linda Parsons with Taking Out the GreyMade as part of our end of year challenge to create something
from someone else’s ‘orphan blocks’. Each of Jo’s blocks (from
a kit) was surrounded by a large triangle of dark grey or white.
I was away on swap day and my friend Sue chose these blocks
for me thinking they were my colours! Yes they were, I had
some similar fabrics in my stash! I removed the grey pieces and
a new little quilt emerged.
Linda Parsons with Moving on from Purple
On a weekend retreat many years ago to create a scrappy
Zippy Strippy quilt I thought it was time to use up my purple
fabrics and start a new phase. Known for purple quilts this was t
o be my last for a while. As I collected the fabric together I fell in
love with the gold and decided to gradate the fabrics from purple
through to intense gold. It pushed me into my orange and lime
green phase!

Strip pieced onto fine non woven fabric foundation squares.
 Machine quilted with gold thread using a walking foot.
Design Source: Zippy Strippy workshop with Faye Packham.
 Online classes with Jacquie Gering and Susan Cleveland.
Diana Brown with Diamonds Galore
Always wanted to make this design and mostly used Japanese
fabrics. It was inspired by a Jane Austen pattern.
Machine pieced, machine quilted by Kim Mariani
Lyn Lang with Dogs on the Loose
This quilt top has been sitting in the cupboard for years waiting
for grandchildren to arrive. At last I have quilted it for my youngest
grandson Dillan. It has been so long since I made the quilt that
I can’t remember where I saw it, who designed it or where the
pattern is now. Probably lost somewhere in my quilt room chaos..




No comments:

Post a Comment