Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Fairholme Quilt Show 2014: applique quilts

IT’S A DOG’S LIFE  - Peggy Molchanoff
This wall hanging was designed by Sally Miller. Worked for one of my
daughter-in-law’s birthday. She loves dogs. Hand appliqued.
HOW WILL YOU GET THERE? Peggy Molchanoff 
This quilt was designed by Sally Miller of Queensland, and
worked from her pattern with variations. Stitched for a grandson
who likes quirky things. I had a debilitating illness when
part way through, so parts are not as well stitched.
Hand appliqued and poorly machine quilted.


FRAMED FLOWERS ON MY WALL - Robin Stutchbury
The floral designs came from a book called “Artful Applique II”
by Jane Townswick. This could be the last quilt that I make
for myself as it is all hand quilted and becomes rather heavy. 

APPLIQUE IN BLOOM - Lyn Lang
This quilt was inspired from a book by Gabrielle Swain.
Hand and machine appliqued and quilted on my trusty Bernina
sewing machine. I have been working on the hand
applique for years. 

SEASCAPE FANTASY 2 - Dawn Cox
My own design. The first of these quilts I did for a nephew who worked
for a paint company and he had brochures and coffee mugs depicting
fish for the company. That one is here in West Pennant Hills.
My husband complained when I gave it away!!!
So this is my husband's quilt.
Background fabric is from South Australia.
The fish fabric took 6 months to find.
PENTAGON MADNESS - Louise Wyatt-Spratt
While trawling the internet I saw a quilt on the now closed
Killara Village Quilts site that had lovely pentagon flowers
in a border around a medallion centre. This was my inspiration for
this quilt. I chose the primary colours and the dark blue background
to give a crisp definition to the borders. I thought pentagons
might be quicker than hexagons (I have a slight addiction to them)
but alas, as only one side joins another, appliqueing them onto the
background was quite time- consuming.
It will be a lovely lap quilt for our new back living area.
I LOVE A SUNBURNT COUNTRY - Virginia Coote
This wall hanging was made for my granddaughter’s first birthday.
The design was inspired by another wall hanging I did depicting
animals from all over the world. The outlines of the Australian
animals were taken from an Ashton Scholastics Time Savers
book and enlarged. I enjoy doing this type of applique.



TEDDY BEARS’ PICNIC - Elaine Walton
I decided that our second grandson needed something to look
at when he came to visit. This quilt was to hang on the wall
above his cot. Unfortunately, Henry was out of the cot and into
a bed before the quilt was completed. Machine pieced,
appliqued and quilted. Pattern:“Teddy Bear’s Picnic” by
Florence Beacom-Halliday, “Quilter’s Companion” no. 37.



Other quilts from the Fairholme Quilters 2014 Quilt Show are posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment