Thursday, May 26, 2016

Images from Fairholme Quilt Show (2)

More from our April 2016 Quilt Show ...

Animal Fair
Virginia Coote
I used a pattern from Kathy Dougherty and Sarah Fielke’s
book, 'Material Obsession'. It was called ‘3 Ring Circus’
but I couldn’t find circus material at the time. It was quite
a challenge to cut the spotty and stripe material the right
way. I have enough mistakes to make a matching cushion!
It was made for the birth of my grandson Tristan and
he likes all the bright colours.
SO MANY HEARTS
Robyn Leek
My favourite occupation is hand applique by needle turn.
My favourite things to applique are hearts!
Also great to have fun with colour.
KIRI'S QUILT
Virginnia Coote
This quilt was made in memory of Kiri's mother Jill,
who sadly died 18 months ago. Jill made many of her own
clothes and loved large patterns and bright colours. She was
also famous for the dressing up outfits she used to make.
I have made the quilt using as many fabrics from Jill's
stash as I could (cutting up clothes where necessary).
The centrepiece I found among her stash is typical of
things in her home. I attended Brenda Gael Smith's workshop
'Serendipity Circles' a while ago and I felt the large circles
would display the large designs on the fabric to advantage.
This has been rather a sad quilt to make, but I have been
happy to do this for Kiri.
SCAREDY CATS
Helen Battellino
This started as a black and white quilt, but
I couldn’t resist adding a few cheeky cats.
Quilted by Christy Wang of Quilting Treasures.
SPRING
Lyn Lang
I started this quilt in a workshop with Anne Sommerlad,
using her method of 'no pins- no tack' machine applique
and eventually finished it in 2014.
THE LESS SAID THE BETTER
Val Nadin
When visiting exhibitions I've been amused, bemused
 and confused by 'artists' statements'. So I decided to
collect some of the comments - yes, these are actual
quotes!! This quilt was shown some years ago but
it was decided to give it another airing to help
viewers who are lost for words.

Photos: Andrew Freelander

No comments:

Post a Comment