Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Images from Fairholme Quilt Show 2016 (1)

Our thanks to Andrew Freelander for photographing the quilts in our April 2016 exhibition. We'll publish them over a number of posts. Captions are the 'story cards' prepared by each quilter.

OLIVIA’S QUILT
Elaine Walton
One of a pair made as a 'welcome home' for my granddaughters
who have returned to Sydney after four years living in Germany.
Pattern is ‘Millefiore’ by Sarah Fielke. It took me some time to
come to terms with the colour palette, and not a reproduction fabric
to be seen. Hand appliqued and mostly hand quilted.
 
LA BELLE EPOQUE
Janice Freelander
I named this quilt ‘La Belle Epoque’ after the fabric
used in the Celtic knot border. The centre medallion is
from Kim Mclean’s ‘Flower Basket Medallion’ quilt,
however I wanted to create my own borders.
The quilt took a little longer than I would have liked,
however the 2016 quilt show gave me further inspiration to
finish it. The quilt is hand appliqued and hand quilted.
GATHERING AT THE OASIS 
Nerida Williams
I completed this quilt as a very new member to Fairholme Quilters.
The design is inspired by Jen Kingwell’s 'Midnight at the Oasis'.
My quilt’s name 'Gathering at the Oasis' reminds me the warm
welcome I received, new friends and the special group that
Fairholme Quilters is for all of us.
Techniques used are machine piecing, needle turn
applique and both machine and hand quilting.
OLD WITH THE NEW
Susan McMahon
This quilt began with a Jinny Beyer border fabric given to
me by a friend. I agonised over the design, then spotted the
toile fabric. The quilt was then to be a medallion quilt.
The colour style was to be of a more traditional range.
However, this was not to be the case. I began putting away
fabric from my previous quilt, when the Kaffe Fassett aqua
fabric jumped out at me. Do I dare put this fabric with the
border fabric? It just went. How could I refuse? The colour
direction of the quilt completely changed. I was very happy
with the outcome as well as it forced me out of my
comfort zone. I designed and quilted the quilt myself.
STARRY STARRY NIGHT
Sue Crowe
Begun in a workshop with Margaret Cormack, and completed
in classes with her. This gave me the chance to try foundation
piecing for the first time. As often happens with my quilts it
then grew. Once I decided to set the centre on point and surround
it with all those triangles, a bit of calculation was needed to
work out the perfect size – thanks Pythagoras. Jo-Ann Phillips of
Quiltwise provided expert quilting to complete it.

No comments:

Post a Comment